Employers need employees with great technical skills, and while veterans certainly possess more than an ample amount of these much-needed skills, they also have some much-desired competencies HR and talent management professionals look for in job candidates. Through military experience, veterans have honed leadership, teamwork, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and have learned how to work under intense pressure—all top-rated competencies sought by employers
Top Ten Reasons to Hire Veterans
- Accelerated learning curve: Veterans have a proven ability to learn new skills quickly and efficiently.
- Leadership: The military trains soldiers to lead by example and through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration. .
- Teamwork: Military duties involve the ability to execute both individual tasks and group endeavors.
- Diversity: Veterans have learned how to work with all individuals regardless of race, gender, geographic origin, ethnic background, etc.
- Performance under pressure: Veterans understand what it means to perform under difficult conditions and tight schedules and with limited resources.
- Respect for procedures: Veterans understand what accountability means. They also understand how policies and procedures help an organization function.
- Technology and globalization: Veterans are aware of international and technological trends, and how they apply to business and industry.
- Integrity: Veterans know the value of “an honest day’s work.”
- Health and safety procedures: Veterans are extremely conscious of health and safety standards, and have been trained to strictly adhere to them.
- Triumph over adversity: Veterans have shown time and time again that they can survive the harshest of conditions and succeed in mission-critical situations.
(Source: Jones, 2010)
Download a copy of our white paper titled Ready to Serve: How and Why You Should Recruit Veterans.